Friday 15 January 2010

Is Norman Foster selling his soul?

Foster Associates designed a ‘signature building’ (the ‘Leaf’) as part of a commercial redevelopment proposal in the London suburb of Ealing in 2007. Brought in presumably to lend a certain ‘caché’ to the otherwise uninspiring and vastly overdeveloped project near the Ealing Broadway Station, the proposal was slammed by English Heritage and CABE as well as local residents and community groups. In response, the developers, Glenkerrin, made a few changes, lowering the height of the main Foster designed tower from a massive 40 floors (just below the Heathrow flight path!) to 27 floors and resubmitted it.

Foster has made a name for himself by designing iconic buildings like the ‘Gherkin’ office block in central London and no doubt the developers thought the local residents would be naïve enough to value having a well known architect gracing their neighbourhood, even if it was the wrong building in the wrong place. Despite Ealing Council approving the revised scheme, it was called in by the government and after a public inquiry, the inspector recommended rejection and this advice was accepted by the Secretary of State, a rare example of central government reflecting local community interests against those of its own council.

But Foster is probably too busy to notice his rejection by the suburban upstarts in Ealing. According to today’s television programme by Kevin McCloud (Slumming it - India’, Channel 4), he is one of a number of leading international architects lending their names to the redevelopment of one of the largest slums in Asia, Dharavi in Mumbai. Dharavi is a massive slum, housing well over 600,000 mostly poor people living at extremely high densities, but generating livelihoods for so many it is helping keep Mumbai’s economy afloat and certainly does most of the city’s dirty business, like recycling its wastes. Yet, as in Ealing, developers are anxious to get their hands on the land in order to redevelop Dharavi and turn it into shopping malls and offices with high-rise apartments for some of the existing residents.

Foster will be part of this ‘makeover’, helping to impose commercially profitable versions of urban life for an affluent minority at the expense of the poor majority. If he has been advised that this is really in the interests of the poor, or even the long term interests of Mumbai, then perhaps he should select some new advisers. If he is doing this in full knowledge of the social, cultural and economic impacts such an approach will have on the poor, then it suggests he has wilfully turned his back on what is really needed and has, indeed, sold his soul. Call me a NIMBY, but it’s not the sort of icon I would want in my backyard.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello everyone, I'm Patricia Sherman in Oklahoma USA right now. I would like to share with you my experience of borrowing USD $185,000.00 to clear my bank draft and start a new business. It all started when I lost my house and I took my stuff because of the bank policy and I met some bills and some personal needs. So I became very desperate and started looking for funds in every way. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine, Linda told me about a credit company firm, I was intrigued by the fraud, but I was intrigued by my situation and had no choice but to get advice from my friend about this company. contacting them really doubted me because of my past experience with online lenders, did you know that little? '' Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com This company has been very helpful to me and my colleague and today, thanks to this credit company, the proud owner of well-organized work and responsibilities, they smiled back at me. So if you really need to grow or start your own business, or if you really need to borrow money in any financial hardship, we recommend you find a financial development opportunity in your business today. {E-mail:} Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com ... online for credit not a victim of scam. Thank you.

Credit Loan Solution said...

Do you need Personal Loan?
Business Cash Loan?
Unsecured Loan
Fast and Simple Loan?
Quick Application Process?
Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
No Hidden Fees Loan?
Funding in less than 1 Week?
Get unsecured working capital?
Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com
Whatsapps +1-(551) 356-3808 (call/WhatsApp)